1. Crust: Combine ingredients in the processor and mix until blended, about 20 seconds. Press into the bottom of a sprayed 9 or 10-inch springform pan. Bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for 15 minutes (a few minutes less if you use a 10-inch pan).
2. Filling: Combine eggs, egg yolks, lemon juice, lemon zest and 1 1/4 cups sugar in the top of a double boiler over simmering water. Heat until thick, stirring constantly. Let cool. Beat the reserved 3 egg whites until foamy. Gradually beat in 3 tablespoons additional sugar. Beat until stiff. Fold into cooled lemon mixture. Pour over crust. Wrap with foil. Freeze at least 4 hours or overnight.
3. Meringue: Beat 6 egg whites until foamy. Gradually add 1 tablespoon sugar and beat until stiff. Spread on frozen dessert. Broil until meringue is light brown. Return to freezer.
Yield: 12 servings. This freezes well. Remove dessert from freezer 15 minutes before serving.
224 calories per serving, 6.5 g fat (1.5 g saturated), 106 mg cholesterol, 6 g protein, 37 g carbohydrate, 117 mg sodium, 87 mg potassium, <1 mg iron, trace fiber, 20 mg calcium.
* Variations: Omit crust. Line sides of springform pan with Passover ladyfingers, placing the rounded sides outwards. (Cut off tips from bottom end so they'll stand upright!) At serving time, garnish dessert with long strips of lemon rind.
* In Step 1, omit Passover Pie Crust. Crush 1/2 pound packaged Passover mandelbroit cookies. Combine with 3 tablespoons melted margarine and mix well. Press into the bottom of a sprayed springform pan, but do not bake. Complete recipe as directed above.
Norene Gilletz is a valued contributor to ShalomBoston.com. This recipe is from her book Healthy Helpings: 800 Fast & Fabulous Recipes for the Kosher (or not) Cook ($19.95 U.S., Woodland Publishing). Norene lives in Toronto, Canada, and has several other kosher cookbooks to her credit, including one of my personal favorites, The Food Processor Bible (Whitecap Books). See recipes, food tips, nutritional information, and more on her web site at http://www.gourmania.com/.